The 9 Best Cat Litters to Buy in 2019
Being a happy cat owner, also a veterinarian, I know for sure that choosing the right cat litter can be a real challenge. This is a common fact that cats are very tidy and clean creatures nevertheless even small and lightweight cat able to turn the litter box in a real mess quickly if you get the wrong litter. Ideal litter formula means that it is safe to use for your pet, easy-to-clean and able to fight with odor for enough long time.
|Dr. Elsey’s Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Platinum Litter, Multi-Cat||CHECK PRICE|
|Purina Tidy Cats Clumping Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box Tray Refills||CHECK PRICE|
|World’s Best Cat Litter Multiple Cat Clumping Formula||CHECK PRICE|
|Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Cat Attract Scoopable Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Naturally Fresh Litter 230014 Quick-Clumping Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|ökocat Super Soft Natural Wood Clumping Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Feline Pine Original Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
Seeking for the best suitable for your kitty product pay attention not only to its quality and features but also to your cat’s preferences. For example, my fluffy eight years old cat Daffy hates scented litters even the best ones. Observing the behavior of your pet for some time can give helpful hints regarding things it likes and can’t stand facilitating to make the right decision.
Below I would like to share a cat litter review of the brands I consider the best choice based on my own experience of use.
The main features of this litter are:
- tracking protection due to the using of hard, non-sticky granules;
- high absorbency and hard clumping preventing from sticking the wet litter to the bottom and sides of the litter box;
- perfume free and long-lasting odor control.
The standard 40 pounds packaging will be enough for your cat’s needs for about a month. During this time, you cannot worry about the bad odor and cat tracks in your house or apartment.
This product is deservedly placed among Amazon Top Sellers providing the high level of cleanliness and comfort for the pet and its owner. For your relief regarding possible allergic reaction, it is necessary to note that it is hypoallergenic and naturally made with no plant proteins. Special formula allows controlling the bad smell keeping it inside the granules during all working life making it especially beneficial for use in small rooms and spaces.
The basic properties of this product are:
- completely free of dust what means it won’t be a reason for any respiratory issues;
- effectively lock the odor for a while making your house fresh air;
- due to its strong odor seal perfectly works for multiple cats’ owners even for use in small rooms with several litter boxes.
This is also a clumping type of cat litter what means that it absorbs the urine liquid while contacting forming solid clumps which can be removed later with no efforts. The advanced formula fights the fecal scent by sealing it inside the compound not allowing to spread in the air. The producers give 7 days’ guarantee of clean smell. And it really works making this litter the best solution if the man has more than one feline.
The litter’s essential features:
- the TidyLock Protection formula provides even better odor controlling making such issues like smelly poop and strong ammonia scent in the room almost impossible;
- the excellent ability to absorb the moisture;
- hassle-free and easy clean up the litter box;
- suitable for use by almost all cats including the fluffy ones;
- suitable for often using in multiple cat families.
Probably no one wants to spend a lot of time trying to scoop out the sticky clumps from litter box sides and bottom. Using this litter type you will be completely free from this long and unpleasant procedure because it makes strong coagulate blobs. They are non-sticky and easily removable. Their hard structure is also a benefit for longhaired cats leaving their hair clean and soft after litter box using.
The major features I consider the most beneficial:
- totally dust free product with a light smell of freshness;
- low stick granules making the feet of your favorite pet clean and tidy even right after visiting the litter box;
- safe for people and pets;
- great ability to keep the scents of excrements and absorbing urine leaving the air in the room clean and fresh;
- it is lightweight, unlike heavy and cheap cat litter.
This blue colored crystal litter showed excellent results while testing– no tracks, even the small ones, no smell, long action time. And I can say that it was really impressive when I found out that I don’t need to scoop out the litter. For the very first time I have filled the cat litter box tray with it my cat was suspicious to blue something suddenly appeared in his place. But soon after it made him interested and once I even found him trying to play with granules. The undeniable advantage for any cat owner is that it is scooping free. To make a cleanup is simply necessary to take out and throw away the disposable litter tray. This is a fast and easy procedure for saving your time and efforts.
The key benefits I have noticed while using:
- quick clumping making scooping easy and not a time-consuming task;
- minimal to no dust producing making it safe to use for sensitive and allergy prone cat owners;
- efficient odor control owing to the special absorbent structure;
- no chemical compositions for safe and hygienic use.
According to my opinion, it is very important for cat litter to be environmentally friendly and made from natural components. Also, the cats have more trusted attitude to something natural while first using. This corn-based composition of natural ingredients can effectively fight with all remains of cat’s business including unpleasant urinal scent and smells of hard excrements leaving your house’s air fresh and odor free. Also, its flushable features make it ecologically safe while biodegradation.
The main specifications of the product recommended to know:
- made of natural clay and herbs with almost no dust creating;
- non-addictive with no side effects;
- safe to use and chemical compounds free;
- good clumping ability creating non-sticky clots for hassle-free removing.
Sometimes cats can use the most exotic places of your house for doing their business totally ignoring the litter tray. Then the task to attract a cat to use a litter box can become a very complicated issue. When all the attempts with changing location, the thickness of the layer, litter box size, trying different types of cat litters and other tricks are failed the only solution remains is to use cat attract litter. This one contains safe for cats herbal based attractant helping the owners to resolve this cat litter ignoring problem easily and quickly.
The important properties I have discovered:
- times better capacity to moisture capture compared to regular clay litters;
- incredible odor-controlling ability even while using for several cats families;
- natural healthy to use the product;
- producing strong, non tracking clumps facilitating quick and effortless waste removing.
This is another great option for cat owners preferring natural products. This improved formula easy clumping litter is made from walnut shells. It is able to satisfy the needs of any pet lover thanks to its outstanding scent hiding ability and good absorbency. The unique structure allows absorbing even more smell and liquid making it long-lasted and more economical to use. Also, this is a healthy product due to its no dust feature.
The worth to note the features of the product:
- the lightweight bag;
- total odor control within a week;
- soft texture with less tracking features making cat’s paws safe for your floor and carpet;
- extra absorption potential, up to 5 times more than usual cat litter.
This clumping wood litter possesses soft texture perfect for declawed cats and kitties. Unfortunately, still many people make a decision to declaw their cats by various reasons not always aware of the numerous consequences of this action. The problem with using the regular structure litter is one of them. Using this soft texture wood litter can be a solution if your cat has delicate paws. Another strong point of this product is clay similar structure what makes it irreplaceable assistant while switching the cat from the old type of litter to the new one. The reason is simple – some cats are “clay” lovers and ignore the other types of litter. This wood litter can facilitate the process of changing the litter.
Things impressed me and my cat as the direct user the most:
- no synthetic additions and dangerous compounds;
- the efficient formula of locking ammonium scent inside the litter structure;
- lightweight package;
- soft texture perfect for cat’s paws due to sawdust adding.
Using this natural pine-based litter I would like to underline its completely natural ingredients what is very important for healthy use. Also, the wood structure means that litter will stay in the litter box and not everywhere on the floor. Powerful odor destroying formula allows fighting bad smell immediately after contacting excrements with the litter surface not allowing the scent to spread in the air.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are just a new happy cat owner, the list of commonly asked questions about cat litter box maintenance may bring you some understanding how to deal with your fluffy friend toilet and make it convenient and safe for use.
How Long Does Cat Litter Last
This essentially depends on the type of cat litter (clumping clay, crystals, based on natural components like wood, etc), the number of cats in the household and their food intake. Also, how often you are scooping with next adding the fresh litter and replacing all litter. 10 kg. litter package is roughly enough for one cat for 1 month.
How to Keep Litter from Sticking to Box
Sticking wasted litter to the sides and corners of the box can be a real problem. Try to use litters forming non-sticky clots. Also, covering the previously cleaned box with a thin layer of safe for cats wax may help.
How to Clean a Litter Box
First, replace all traces of clumped litter and other hard waste. Then thoroughly wash it with warm water and dish soap. You can also use non-toxic and non-aggressive cleaners for this task but good rinse after is required for all cases.
How Often to Change Cat Litter
This also depends on how many cats use the box and how often. For one cat total replacing all cat litter in the box is recommended to do once a week or two. Scooping the wasted litter with next adding a cup or two fresh one is better to do every day.
How to Make Litter Box Not Smell
Use high-quality cat litter with strong odor control sealing the unpleasant scent inside the litter’s structure. Also, take out poops immediately and scoop out clumped clots once a day. Adding some baking soda while washing will also help to get rid of the odor.