7 Best Dog Food for Pitbulls to Buy in 2019
Pit bull terriers are full of energy, strong and brawny breed, definitely deserving much love and attention. Unfortunately, they are predisposed to an allergic response to various foodstuffs and stomach sensitivity issues. Nevertheless, these awesome canine gourmets enjoy varied palates and have their personal food priorities and likes. This is vital for happy owners of young and aged dogs to understand their need for particular components and select the best food for Pitbulls to provide appropriate diet.
Also, for any pit bull lover, it is essential to know how much food is necessary to give to the pets to avoid overweight, obese and stomach problems. I’m pretty much sure that with a significant number of alternatives existing in the market nowadays the process of choosing the right food for Pit bull puppies and adults can be extremely complicated. Therefore, with the intention of helping you with choosing and purchasing process, I have prepared a list of top 7 dog food for Pitbulls with allergies that your favorite fluffy sweetheart would definitely enjoy.
The 7 Best Dog Food for Pitbulls
Bully Max is high protein dog food for Pitbulls with all-natural components suitable for all dog ages older than four weeks. The meat-based formula, free from additives, colors, preservatives and plant proteins which can cause allergic reactions, provides more proteins and fat compared to other options. Containing over 500 kcal/cup is considered to be high-calorie food able to give your dog all the energy he needs daily, increasing strength and muscle development.
- All-natural, meat-based ingredients.
- Free from plant-based proteins causing digestive issues.
- Suitable for male and female dogs older than 4 weeks.
- The high-calorie formula allows you to do not use much food for your dog every day, thus, saving cost per serving.
- Only 15 and 40-pound bag options are available.
- Suitable but not recommended for pregnant and nursing Pit bulls.
CANIDAE Grain Free contains real food components for sensitive dogs. Each limited recipe is using up to 10 main ingredients necessary for normal energy level, growth and muscle development. Combination of various diets based on meat or fish with vegetable ingredients like peas and sweet potatoes delivers exceptions taste and all nutrition your canine needs. The food is corn, soy, and wheat-free, so is no reason for Pitbulls allergies.
- Real meat or fish-based, with additional vegetable components for sensitive dogs.
- Grain-free formula.
- The large variety of flavors (chicken, lamb, duck, salmon, etc.)
- Options for seniors and puppies.
- Being rich in animal protein still can contain high fiber count.
- Some tastes aren’t loved by dogs.
ORIJEN Dry Dog Food is a high protein grain free formula product providing all necessary nutrition for your canine buddy to stay healthy and active. It includes meat (chicken, eggs, turkey) and fish (three kinds of wild-caught fish) based ingredients nurturing the dog’s body in accordance with its biological needs and physical demands. Balanced animal protein-rich diet, as close as possible creating the conditions of feeding the animal in nature, is a key to keep your dog healthy, happy and active.
- Product of excellent quality, made by the USA based company.
- Provide whole-prey nutrition due to a high concentration of quality animal-based ingredients made from fresh or raw condition meat.
- Many diet options suitable for dogs of all ages.
- None plant protein concentrates and high-glycemic fillers.
- The relatively high cost of the packages.
- Some customers claim that they have bought bad bags online.
Taste of the Wild with fish protein and no grain formula is a source of powerful and easily consumable energy for your canine companion. The real smoked salmon makes it taste like no other which is highly appreciated by such awesome eating lovers like Pit bulls. Additional vegetable ingredients like sweet potatoes are full of antioxidants protecting the body of your dog from various harmful impacts.
- A family-owned business in the USA.
- Premium components from trusted sources worldwide.
- Optimal amino acid and protein content enriched with minerals and vitamins necessary for healthy bones, strong muscles, and a shiny, luxurious coat.
- No plant-based proteins, artificial colors, and preservatives used.
- Salmon taste maybe not the best option for some picky canine gourmets.
- Expensive for 28lb item.
Natural Balance Dog Food formula with premium quality ingredients provides full and well-balanced nutrition for all breeds of all ages. Being a good source of protein and carbohydrates can also be considered as an excellent food for Pitbull puppies to gain weight and grow. Additional vegetable ingredients like potatoes are extremely digestible for dogs also being corn, wheat and soy-free source of energy.
- The product is suitable for all breeds and all life stages from puppy to senior.
- Grain-free formula along with additional supplements of premium quality maintains the dog’s digestive and overall health.
- Reducing the risk of allergy and food sensitivities due to using simple formula limiting the number of ingredients in a dog’s diet.
- The packaging doesn’t contain information about the source of ingredients or where they are produced.
- Some customers complained that they have got bags with the contents different from the declared.
AvoDerm Dog Food offers to enjoy the advantages of healthy balanced nutrition with added naturally sourced Chondroitin sulfate and Glucosamine for reliable joint and cartilage support. This product is intended for adult and senior dogs requiring more minerals and vitamins in order to remain strong and energetic as they age. The advanced formula also includes antioxidant nutrients and premium quality California avocado ingredients for proper immune system function, healthy eyes, and skin.
- A natural source of high-quality proteins and vitamins.
- Additional Chondroitin sulfate and Glucosamine ingredients support healthy joints as your four-legged companion grow older.
- Naturally-based Omega and DHA nutrients positively affect to eyes, brain, skin, and coat of the aged dog.
- A completely grain-free formula with no China originated components.
- This food can’t be used for puppies and juniors.
- Extra source of Chondroitin sulfate and Glucosamine can sometimes cause allergy reaction.
NomNomNow Dog Jerky Treats is a premium quality product made in the USA. It contains only one ingredient, a pure jerky. The best treat for dogs of all ages including puppies and seniors. The manufacturer guarantees almost 80% animal-based protein.
- Have only one ingredient with no artificial flavors, additives, preservatives.
- Appropriate for dogs of all breeds and stages of life.
- Can be easily broken into smaller pieces for treating or training.
- Top beef sirloin with a certificate from USDA used for producing.
- Can be used only for treating and not for regular use.
- The item is expensive compared to product amount
Best for Puppy Pit Bulls
Pit bull terriers are rightfully among the most interesting and intriguing dog breeds. The most common myths about them are that they are violent towards cats, other dogs, and sometimes even humans. The owners of pit bulls confirm that they are typically cheerful, gentle, active and full of energy and almost always enjoy a happy mood.
Puppies spend a great deal of energy as they grow in contrast with other breeds. So, if growing pitbull puppies running everywhere in your yard and house know that they will utilize more calories in comparison with their older relatives. A pit bull terrier junior weighing more than 30 pounds may need approximately up to 1230 calories per day.
Use a Pitbull puppy feeding chart provided by the food manufacturer to ensure that your growing four-legged family member gets enough calories every day. Puppies and juniors should be fed 3 times a day since they are still growing and spend a bunch of energy. Just like adults, puppies could get healthy treats, but not exceeding 20% of overall calories your dog consumes per day. The growing pups require at least 25% protein and 9% fat for normal growth and maturity. Be sure to select Pit bull puppy food which meets these conditions. These dogs are perfect eaters, so you really won’t experience any problem determining the right food formula that your cub would enjoy the most.
Pitbull Food Allergies
Answering the question of many owners, are Pitbulls hypoallergenic and need a special diet, it is possible to say that this is partly true. Any dog can have an allergic reaction to specific food components but Pit bulls are subject to food-related allergy more often. The most typical food allergens for dogs are
- plant-originated (wheat, corn, soy);
- animal-originated (dairy, beef, chicken).
The best solution if you suppose your four-legged companion suffers from a food allergy is to stop using regular food. You need to find a diet with limited ingredients and a new source of proteins and carbons until symptoms will disappear. After you could either continue using the limited diet for your dog regularly or add potential allergens one by one until you find the one you should avoid.
Another Pitbull terrier’s feeding concern is avoiding the risk of gastric dilation volvulus which can cause serious health troubles. The main reason of this could happen to your dog is eating too much or too quickly. Thus, you need to prevent your friend from speed eating, also feed him or her several times a day (2 for adult and 3 for a puppy) instead of one.
Pit Bull Nutrition Tips
Whether you have large or medium-sized breed, high-quality food is a key for good health and normal growth. All adult dogs require having at least 20% protein and 7% fat in their diet, while Pit bull puppy food 25% and 9% accordingly. Pitbulls have no minimal need for carbohydrates providing energy and facilitating normal digestion.
Here follow a list of features high-quality Pitbull dog food should have:
- No additives. You should avoid any food with artificial fillers, secondary products, and additives because Pit bull terriers are prone to allergic reactions and using these ingredients can be a reason for a life-threatening situation happen.
- Carbohydrate content.The main function of carbons is delivering addition energy on the cell level for your active pet. The carbs appear in the dog’s diet due to various vegetables and fruits, also whole grains added. Being rich in amino acids and some types of complex carbohydrates grains can be highly beneficial for a dog’s health but can cause an allergic reaction at the same time. Be cautious if your dog is sensitive.
- Meat-protein dense ingredients. Natural and quality animal-origin proteins (meat, poultry, and fish) must be at the core of high-quality food for your dog. 20-25% protein content will be perfect both for juniors and adults facilitating gaining lean muscle mass which is crucial for this breed.
- Quality fats of animal origin. Being a source of concentrated energy animal-based fats cover all dog’s energy requirements which is especially important for this active and high-energy breed. The best suitable for Pit bulls combination should include 10 – 20% fats. Also, seek for a balanced combination of essential omega fatty acids (3 and 6) which provides healthy skin and shiny coat.
- Vitamins and minerals. A complete and balanced diet is impossible without vitamins and mineral components. Contrary to the common opinion they can be found not only in fruits and vegetables but also in meat and poultry products. Vitamins A, C, E work as powerful antioxidants and vitamin B needed for the most optimal metabolism.
Plant-based ingredients are more difficult to digest than animal-based. Therefore, ensure that most of your dog’s nutrition is all-natural and originated from animal sources.
What is the best dog food for Pitbulls?
The best food for Pitbulls should contain all-natural nutrient-dense components and be a balanced combination of proteins, carbohydrates, fats, and vitamins. Considering Pit bulls a very active breed consuming lots of energy the diet should contain more animal-based proteins than for any other breed.
How much food do I need for puppy and adult Pit Bull?
The number of calories the dog requires to get daily can significantly vary depending on the age, lifestyle, personal metabolism, and other factors. In general, 1300-1500 calories per day can be taken as a basis. Ensure to use Pitbull puppy feeding chart which can be found at the manufacturer’s feeding guide.
Is it safe for Pit bulls to use a diet with grains?
Typically, grains are a good source of carbohydrates, amino acids, vitamins and minerals beneficial for overall dog’s health. But Pit bulls are a sensitive breed which is predisposed for allergy, therefore, using such kind of diet should be done extremely cautiously, better under veterinarian supervision. If you know your dog has an allergy to grain don’t use this diet at all.
How often I could feed my pet?
Feeding your four-legged friend only once a day isn’t a good solution because having a great appetite he could eat too quickly and too much. This can cause gastric dilation volvulus which is enough dangerous for dog’s health. Feeding 2-3 times per day is optimal.
The Final Word
Pit bulls are great dogs with lots of energy and love which they are happy to share. A healthy and balanced diet is a key factor for your canine companion’s health and long life. Natural originated components of the quality food provide all necessary nutrients for hard bones, strong muscles, good eyes and brains, shiny, luxurious coat for your friend. Use any of the best food products for Pit bull terriers I have mentioned above and enjoy his strong health and endless activities.