The 9 Best Bird Feeders to Buy Right Now
Winter is a difficult time for birds. The cold weather forced all insects to hide, few fruits remained on some trees, and the seeds can be found only on some large dry weeds sticking out from the snow. Many people strive to help feathered creatures survive this difficult period by arranging feeding places and bird feeders.
Birds not only eat what is in the feeder but also carefully inspect the branches and tree trunks that are nearby, destroying the hibernating pests. If this will be done during the winter, let’s say, by a few dozen chickadees; it is unlikely that any of the insects will survive. Thus, caring for bird food in the winter, you help with the issue of pest control.
According to my own experience as a veterinarian, also a bird lover, everything must be done with knowledge and understanding. The reason is simple: incorrect feeding the birds, as well as using feeders of awkward construction can easily harm them. The feeder can become the spot of infection, so it is necessary to daily remove the remnants of uneaten food, and once a month, be sure to wash the feeder with hot water with some disinfectant.
Wild Bird Feeders for Your Backyard
If you place winter bird feeders in the yard, they will not only help wild fowls during the winter time but also become a good decoration for your garden. And you can enjoy watching the birds’ fun near the feeder for hours.
Bird feeders can be different shapes and sizes, made from various materials and components. Hopefully, my personal impressions from using the ones described below will help you to choose the right one best fit for your needs and conditions.
This peanut feeder is intended for use peanuts (both shelled and mixed ones) and sunflower seeds. Using durable stainless steel for the loop and mesh tube ensures its long life and resistance to various weather conditions. The size of the feeder is enough for adding around 1 pound of peanuts or seeds.
The basic features of the product:
- open structure makes the food level visible allowing its convenient control;
- the food is easily accessible for birds but difficult for squirrels to raid;
- long-lasting stainless steel materials for mesh and tops guarantees its long period of using.
The great hanging feeder is primarily intended for feeding small kinds of birds like nuthatches and finches. Due to its small feeding holes, the seeds are out of reach for large birds like crows. 8 open makes it perfect for simultaneous feeding of quite a number of feathered cuties.
The key advantages:
- a capacity of 2 pounds of seeds makes it possible to add the fresh ones less frequently;
- a well-designed construction with tiny holes facilitate feeding small birds protecting the food from the big ones;
- a convenient hanging hook ensuring secure installation of the feeder.
The combined solution for feeding goldfinches, chickadees, sparrows, titmice, together with the types of birds seeking for food on the ground like blackbirds, blue jays, cardinals, and others. The roof and perches are made of high-quality materials ensuring that your seeds won’t be wasted. Also, the convenient design allows all-around feeding with no birds competition for feeding holes.
The core strengths:
- various seeds blends (safflower, sunflower, thistle seeds) and small nuts can be used;
- easy disassembling for cleanup;
- durable and premium quality materials guarantee a long working life;
- nice design makes it a great decoration for the garden or backyard.
The excellent idea of using various seed and suet cakes for birds feelings is fully implemented in this Stocke’s Feeder. Indeed, the suet being a source of condensed caloric energy is very necessary for birds especially in the cold seasons with lack of the other nutrients. The suet cake usually consists of nuts, seeds, fat and other components shaping into hard cakes which are securely kept in the feeder.
The main properties:
- woodpeckers, chickadees, cardinals, wrens, nuthatches, and bluebirds are the main suet cake lovers and will be the welcomed guests at your feeder;
- a part of the money from your purchase of Stokes bird feeder will be assigned for wild birds donations;
- the rust protected metal used for the feeder cage and roof provides long and hassle-free using of the product.
Window Bird Feeders
This type of bird feeders can be used mainly by the people living in apartments in multi-storied buildings. Having no gardens or backyards these people nevertheless have the opportunity to do their part in feeding the wild flying creatures using these specially designed feeders.
I think that nothing can be better than sitting in the warm and cozy room watching funny birds dining outside your window. This window feeder makes the task of setting up the dinner place extremely simple. It easily sticks to the window glass safely holding all seeds and nuts you would like to treat your flying guests. The roof protects the feeder’s content from direct rain and snow.
The major cons:
- suitable for all types of birds;
- secure sticking to the glass;
- can be filled with jelly, nuts, seeds, and oranges;
- simple to clean and adding fresh food.
This product definitely worth your attention because due to using the UV coating for the whole construction will allow you to always enjoy the clear view of the feeding process preventing material’s yellowing and clouding. Also, 3 rubber perches and a large size are a great landing benefit for the birds of various sizes.
The essential qualities:
- excellent design with a pitched roof and drainage holes will always help to keep the food dry;
- easy to clean and refill using the removable tray;
- 3strong suction cups ensuring the reliable fixation and preventing the window glass from undesirable impacts.
Another interesting clear acrylic design solution for window feeder being not only convenient for birds but also for kids and their parents to watch and enjoy the wild nature outside. The removable tray and the feeder itself have tiny holes to keep the seed ventilated and dry.
The key features:
- the divided removable tray enables to use various types of seeds and nuts in different sections attracting different varieties of birds;
- the transparent body facilitates the process of easy observing the wild creatures outside;
- easy to install it outside the window.
The transparent back panel birdhouse provides the unique opportunity to watch birds nest activity from your window. This is a great gift for any bird lovers, as well as an exceptional educational tool for kids. It’s made of wood with a clear panel which is easy to mount using 2 strong sucks cups.
The implicit advantages:
- easy disassembling for maintenance and nest cleaning;
- suitable for all backyard bird varieties;
- ability to enjoy watching the whole process of nesting and raising bird babies;
- natural materials used along with 2 sucks cups for firm holding.
Polar Bear’s Bird House Hot Sale! Clear Glass Window Viewing Bird Feeder Hotel Table Seed Peanut Hanging Suction
The modern design of this pitched roof glass feeder equipped with ventilation system ensures that your feathered guests will always get dry and quality dinner. This feeder is safe for birds’ health because it prevents mold from appearing in the feeding tray. You will definitely spend many hours observing wild birds enjoying their food behind your window glass.
The major benefits:
- the large tray for seeds which is not complicated to remove for refilling and cleaning;
- transparent body providing easy watching and enjoying for kids and adults;
- 3 strong sucks cups enable the feeder to be firmly secured on the outside window glass.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below I have listed a couple of questions regarding birds feeders I’m asked the most. Hopefully, this information will be helpful both to the people just going to buy their first feeder and to those who regularly enjoy using them.
How to keep squirrels out of bird feeders?
There are plenty of solutions from using the additional equipment like squirrel baffle for your feeder to adding some hot chilly pepper to the seeds. But I wish to speak briefly about two solutions I consider the easiest. The first one is using birds feeder with mesh tube which is accessible for birds but not for squirrels. The second is making a small feeding place, especially for squirrels at a sufficient distance from your bird feeders.
How to attract birds to a new feeder?
Waiting for the birds to come to the new feeder is a real challenge for beginners. Place the feeder in the safe and attractive area where it can be well visible for birds. Fill it with fresh seeds and nuts and not use the wasted ones. Also, spreading some seeds on the ground near the feeder’s location will facilitate birds’ attention to this place.
How to attract finches?
Selecting the right feeder for finches is the first demand. They are small birds able to eat from any feeder but the right finch feeders are specially designed to have a food content they prefer. Using seeds they love is the second demand. These are oily seeds from sunflower and thistle. Also, planting flowers and plants producing many seeds will definitely attract finches in your garden.